SAM Member Since: September 2017
Area Protected: 143 acres
Lewisporte has a population of approximately 4,000 and is located on the Northwest Coast of Newfoundland, at the head of Burnt Bay in scenic Notre Dame Bay. Settlers first arrived in Lewisporte in 1887 to take advantage of the prosperous fishing, logging and ship building industries. The town was incorporated in 1946.
Conservation areas are wetland or upland areas of significance to waterfowl and generally provide habitat for nesting, brood rearing and/or staging. In the case of Lewisporte, there is one protected area of significant wetland habitat for waterfowl and wildlife species. The Bottom Brook Estuary is located at the southern edge of Lewisporte Harbour and contains ideal feeding and staging habitat for numerous waterfowl species. Flooded with rich brackish water, the estuary creates a highly productive environment utilized by many wildlife species.